Sunday, October 24, 2010

A new found love for apples

I like fruit. I don't eat enough of it, but when I do I love it. Now, if you asked me what my favourite fruit is I'd answer oranges. A few seconds after this I would start to hesitate and think that maybe I love starfruits, grapes or kiwis more. In winter I would probably answer clementines and in summertime melon is a must. Now let's play spot the similarities between all those fruits. Shape and colour aside, I think you will notice that none of them need to be peeled. Yes, I really cannot peel a piece of fruit without:

a) Wasting most of my afternoon

b) Chopping my finger on the process (this may or may not be true).

c) Ending up with a tiny peach because most of the fruit ended up in the rubbish, obviously still attached to the peel. This is especially frustrating, since I adore peaches.

The worst problem is the first one, though. I am a very impatient person. When I paint, I can never wait for the paint to dry; I check my mailbox compulsively when I know something has to arrive soon; I don't preheat the oven or wait for water to boil; I always have to go into the kitchen before the floor is completely dry. You can imagine then, my anger at the stupid piece of fruit for having its skin so tightly attached to it. This is the reason why I have never bought pears. :P

Now I am proud to inform the internet that my inability to peel fruit has been overcome. I am now a proud apple lover who can peel fruit on one go. I informed my mum last night with the following e-mail:

Dear mum,

I write you to inform you of an event that will unquestionably change your perception of me. Because I believe I am now in the middle of a key stage of my development as an adult. Today, October 23th, 2010 at 11:20pm I peeled an apple.

I hope you recover from the shock.

Yours,

Your Son.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails