Thursday, December 16, 2010

Aussie Adventures

Queensland. :3

Before you go on reading I must warn you that this blog post is going to read more like a postcard than a blog and won’t be very funny. On the upside however, it will be very short…
So I thought I’d try and blog about my Aussie Adventures (TM) because it’s easier than emailing individual people and obviously everyone wants to hear me talk about myself some more, but from the other side of the world.
Having had less than two hour’s sleep in 24 hours I should really be in bed but am instead, selflessly writing this.
You’re welcome.
I left rainy Kuala Lumpur behind at 6.15 on Friday night with a sense of trepidation. Mainly concerning the fact that I’m genuinely worried I’m going to get stung by one of Australia’s two deadly jellyfish, one of which gives the ‘stingee’ symptoms including “overwhelming doom and despair”, as well as excruciating pain, and death of course, if you don’t get it treated in time (vinegar apparently does the trick). Not my words folks, the words of the Australia Rough Guide.
Fun things on the plane included: being brought excessive numbers of hot lemony towels and meals. The hot lemony towels were pretty pointless but fairly inoffensive. The six meals over the course of 24 hours were much more offensive, as I’ve now negated all the months of sweating like an untrained guy in front of workout dvds by eating everything that was put in front of me, just because it was ‘free’ (i.e. included in the 900 something plane ticket cost…) Willpower, what’s that?!
Second fun thing – being sat next to a chav couple. The female half of which proceeded to talk at me excessively until I blocked her out with headphones. The upside of this being I watched loads of movies.
After that flight the tour guide picked me up and I’m currently at a lovely hotel, where I’ll stay until I start a trip up the Gold Coast on Sat.
Spotted two wombats on the way – much fatter and bigger than I thought. And can hear the sound of lots of frogs around outside. Can’t wait to see it all in the daylight tomorrow! (Saturday)
In the arvo (check out my Aussie slang, I’m practically a local already) we took a trip to the beautiful (and v quiet) beach and swam in the perfectly turquoise sea.
Despite the weather (mid 20′s) there were pockets of the sea that were icy icy cold, apparently because of a current that comes in from Antartica. But if you’ve swam in the North Sea in October you can handle anything. (Which I haven't, in case you didn’t get that.) Saw lots of hermit crabs wandering around. Thankfully no sharks or jellyfish. Fed dolphins though. 
 
Then went to the local steakhouse for a schooner of steak (duh.) and went shopping.
Yes, that’s right folks, I actually did SHOPPING. The stuff is a huge deal over there and, as it’s only triple priced compared to here, it’s manageable making my family poorer.
 
There’s a storm a-coming so be in for a rainy one tomorrow,(Sun) but after that it should be glorious sunshine again.
And lazyness took over. For more info, Google search Sea World, Paradise Country, Movie World and Tangloolama. Toodleoo ’til tomorrow people.

Disclaimer: any typos can be put down to me being jetlagged and sleep deprived. As can this blog post being a boring pile of crap. And sand toboganning RULES!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails